Frequent SearchSMBStorage.com contributor and Microsoft MVP Brien Posey offers a step-by-step approach to storage...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
provisioning from the command line in Windows Server 2008.
Windows Server 2008 can be installed in two different ways. You can do a full installation, or you can do a server core installation.
According to Posey, Microsoft says that server core installations will become the normal and preferred method for installing the upcoming Windows Server 8.
With that in mind, Posey walks through the steps for storage provisioning in Windows 2008 without using Microsoft's GUI such as:
- How to open a Command Prompt window
- How and why to use Microsoft's DiskPart utility
- Using the list disk command to view available disks
- How to select a disk and bring it online
- Creating a primary disk partition
- Assigning a drive letter and formatting the partition
Posey also offers troubleshooting advice for common issues that many users encounter with command line storage provisioning. For proper viewing, view video fullscreen and choose 720p.